Saturday, July 17, 2010

Put on a Happy Face

A couple of times recently someone has asked me what I’m upset or angry about. The odd thing is that both times I was not upset or angry about anything. Apparently I was walking around with a scowl on my face. Perhaps I was just lost in thought, or squinting in the sun, but the impression I gave was not very friendly.

So I have resolved to change my default expression to a smile. For one thing, studies show that when we smile, even if we don’t mean it, the movement of the facial muscles tells our brains that we are happy. Also, I know I look younger when I smile (cheap facelift). And finally, a smile is contagious and makes other people feel better, too.

Hopefully, someone will come up to me soon and ask me what I’m happy about. Or maybe they will just smile back.

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It’s not your style;
You’ll look so good that you’ll be glad
You decided to smile!

–from Bye Bye Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.