Friday, July 9, 2010

Be Amazed!

When I was in graduate school, one of my professors was visiting from Eastern Europe. He had an often unexpected way of using English. Once in class he instructed us to turn to a certain page “and be amazed!” I don’t remember what was on that page or if I was amazed, but I loved the instruction and it stayed with me. Now I use it with my students. There is always something new to learn and it is amazing.

Sometimes I use the instruction on myself. It is a good reminder to notice the miracles that are happening all around me all the time (A Day of Miracles). The sun came up this morning. Be amazed. Water came out of the shower head when I turned the handle. Be amazed.

It’s okay to be amazed with ourselves. I made my bed this morning. Be amazed. I’m testing for my brown belt in taekwondo next week. Be very amazed.

Even God amazed himself on occasion. “Behold, I am doing a new thing. Now it springs forth. Do you not see it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” –Isaiah 43:19. I love this verse. Like a child delighting in a new accomplishment, God was saying, “Look at what I can do. This is cool!” (I’m no Bible scholar, but I like to think that is what he was saying.)

So let’s go forth today and be amazed, with ourselves and with the world around us. Have an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.