Thursday, February 2, 2012

They’re Baaaaaack!

It happened again, just as it does every winter. Here is the post I wrote a year ago. Some things have changed. I’m retired, so I wasn’t driving to work. It was a sunny, cold day instead of a rainy day. But some things don’t change, like my delight every year when I see them....

Winter Surprise

I was driving to work this morning and there they were, like they are every year. The January daffodils. Not just a green sprout tentatively peeking through the dirt. A whole corner covered with bright yellow blossoms. A small field of sunshine.

If you live in my part of the world you know that the last month has brought record rainfall. The only sunny days have been the below freezing days around New Year’s. Water is rising in basements. Creeks and rivers are spilling over their banks. Everybody is feeling mossy and mildewed.

But these daffodils don’t care. They bloom in January every year. Ice and snow do not deter them. Gray soggy days do not dampen their spirits. They do not bow to pouring rain. They stand straight up on the corner singing and dancing, heralding the life gestating in the winter dark.

Every year I forget about those daffodils. By January, winter is in full force, and I’m hunkered down with my mug of hot tea, wrapped in my comfy robe, waiting.... Every winter I forget until the day I am walking or driving by and there they are, laughing at my surprise.

And I laugh with them.

26 comments:

  1. Laughing with daffodils is where it's at...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how beautiful they are and the joy of your surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet, you painted for me a beautiful image, as it's cold outside, I am all smiling at the thought of a prairie of Daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, Wouldn't a whole prairie covered with daffodils be beautiful?!

      Delete
  4. Can't think of a better time to laugh..... enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daffodils...I have only seen them once in my life and their brilliance is amazing. I can only imagine your joy coming across that vision.

    For me it is the arrival of the blossoms of the tropical trees in my area. For me... that is our 'season.'

    Thanks for sharing...
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, Now I'm curious. Where do you live? I lived in the tropics for five years, and I remember all the gorgeous flowers.

      Delete
  6. Oh Galen....Daffodils....the divine's answer to mossy and blue!!!LOL LOL

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, Well, we do have plenty of moss here in the Northwest! Green and yellow are lovely together.

      Delete
  7. A very lovely post today! Nature does testify that there is a God. I love the thought of those beautiful Daffodils poking their heads up and standing tall to signify that spring will eventually come.
    Blessings to you for a moment of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, it's coming... spring that is! I recall reading this post, it made me smile again this year, I can relate to the feeling of the first sprouts shooting out of the ground after a long cold winter.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved daffodils. They are so strong but so joyful! Thanks for the post. It reminded me that I love daffodils.

      Delete
    2. darlin, Are you enjoying the summer down under? I guess you will get to enjoy summer and then come home in time for spring--right?

      Anna, I love them, too!

      Delete
  9. I have primroses in full bloom and the daffodils are up about 8" in all this sunshine...The winter crocus are still in bloom...and in the storm fallen trees lots of pussy willows sprouting forth...

    Maybe that ground hog thingy does not work here?

    Although it is truly an odd winter this year even for here :)
    Nice sharing thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, An odd winter here, too. Pretty mild and not as rainy as usual.

      Delete
  10. cuteeee little Daffodils ...really love them. in my country(I am Iranian) we can see Doffodils in spring ,almost at the end of march....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. puffyclouds, How lovely that daffodils bloom in so many cultures and countries!

      Delete
  11. Like the daffodils on the corner, this post cheered me right up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean...and they are so welcomed! My camelia bush is covered in buds and beginning to bloom...way too early! Please don't freeze again Mr. Winter! A cozy up day here for me! So lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I thought camelias are supposed to bloom in winter. No? Love those cozy, lazy days. Enjoy!

      Delete
  13. I'm with you and perfect timing. I just moved to another location and in the front of the building there are yellow daffodils and it's early February. I thought - what's up with that?

    So now I know that they bloom even in colder weather than I'm in in January.

    I will laugh now as I look at the daffodils - they are beautiful!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.