Friday, February 1, 2013

Go for Bold


I don't do this very often. In fact, I don't think I've ever done it. But today, I'm doing an interview on my blog. The interview is with Tess Marshall of The Bold Life. Tess is offering a course called 30 Days of Bold, which starts February 17th. The second line of the Serenity Prayer asks for courage to change the things we can. Tess is all about courage. If you don't know her already, you are in for a treat.

For my readers who don’t know you, please introduce yourself.

I currently work as a writer, speaker, and courage coach. I have a master’s degree in counseling psychology and had a private practice in Michigan for 10 years. I love to guide and  inspire people to overcome their fears and live-out-loud.  I write at The Bold Life, for an amazing and growing community that I love dearly.  My work has allowed me to reach people all over the world.

My passion is to help others grow through their fears and take the action needed to create and live a meaningful and inspired life. I’ve written three books and created a brand new course, 30 Days of Bold.

Why did you create 30 Days of Bold? Tell us more about it.

30 Days of Bold is an interactive and live course that begins on Monday February 18th. It allows us to support and personally get to know each other. We overcome our fears and grow through our courage.

The course is designed to take one beyond excuses, procrastination, worries and doubts…from fear to freedom.  You’ll gain the confidence to take bold action.

I understand what it is like to be paralyzed by fear. In the past, I made mistakes, I spent my time freaked out, playing small, denying and hiding from fear.

I sunk into depression and I hated my life.  One day, when I couldn’t stand the pain, craziness or drama any longer. I reached out for help. I hired a therapist, attended a support group, found a mentor, hired a coach and put into practice what I learned.

Little by little, I turned my life around. I created a new story.  The payoff of my post-fear life – I raised my family, I saved my marriage, became a successful therapist, a coach, an author, a professional speaker, a blogger, a writer. I achieved things I never would have thought possible. In the end, I’ve been blessed with very loving and brilliant mentors and teachers throughout my lifetime. It’s my turn to give.

How did you become so bold?

I grew up on a produce farm with nine siblings. We were all very competitive for our parents love and attention. It was speak up or lose out. We also began working in the fields and at the Farmer’s Market as young children.  At the market, we learned how to sell and turn our customers into friends! We became experts in sales by age 13! That’s a childhood of bold action.

My biggest challenge, thus far, was getting married and pregnant when I was 17, a senior in high school. Our only plan was “love!” I was the mom to four little girls at age 22. My third pregnancy was twins. We really didn’t have a plan until we began seeing a counselor 10 years later. That was a turning point. We finally had the tools needed to move forward in a healthy and happy manner. There is nothing more difficult than raising children. Nothing! I was only 38 when the twins graduated from high school.

A mother is a coach! I didn’t know it at the time, but they helped me become the courage coach I am today! There is no difference between you and me. Together, we can unearth your courageous self. It’s never too late. The time is now.

What is the most painful fear you can have?

The worst fear is one of feeling unloved and separate. All human beings have three things in common. We all want to give love, receive love and know that we matter. Once we live with an open heart and give and receive love freely, it’s impossible not to feel connected to the whole. Separation is an illusion.

Tell us about a difficult time and how you overcame your fear?

My daughter Kristy was born without a right hand. I was afraid for her. I knew life would be difficult at times and of course you want to save your kids from pain. I pushed her to do things she didn’t think she could. She also was determined to do what her sisters did.

Kristy learned how to play sports using her stub. She played basketball and soccer. She went on to the University of Chicago and played there for two years as well, before she reached her limits. Now she runs marathons, participates in triathlons and works for an athletic shoe company.

I didn’t let Kristy off the hook. Didn’t let her make excuses. She used to say when she was a little girl, “I can’t do the dishes because I only have one hand.” I’d reply, “Oh yes you can, it will just take you longer.” The way I overcame all my fears around my parenting and marriage was one step at a time.

What do you hope that people will take away after completing the course?

I want them to see that they are not alone and that there is nothing wrong with them. We all fail, we all make mistakes and we all have flaws. I want them to own their power and innate goodness. I want them to use their innate courage and have faith in themselves. I want to see them use their gifts, talents and to offer them to others along the path. When one of us succeeds, we all succeed in making the world a better place to live! Dennis Waitley said, “There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.”

Click here to find out more and sign up.

[Note: I'm not getting anything for this interview and I won't get anything if you sign up for the course. I'm offering the information because I think Tess is the real deal and has something wonderful to offer. If you take the course, I would love to hear back from you about your experience with it. Whether you take the course or not, please visit her blog. You'll be glad you did.]

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing us this interview, Galen. I enjoy learning about others who have overcome difficulties and faced life with boldness and courage.

    I love the term "courage coach." I think we all could use one of those sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina,
      I'm happy I can inspire you. I love courage coach as well.

      Delete
  2. Tess sounds like a wonderful person, courageous and inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us, Galen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,
      Thank you for your compliment and support! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting indeed!

    I've been to Tess's blog though lately because of my own blog being revamped haven't visited. So, thanks for sharing and reminding me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galen: I have said it before and can't say it enough: You are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Tess's blog for several years. She is inspirational and empowering. She was one of the first bloggers to show me support a few years ago. I support her efforts and abilities completely.

    Thanks, Galen, for helping a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I will stop over and check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Galen-

    Thanks for sharing the ebullient, inspirational, and courageous Tess. She is a force of nature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your interview; I really enjoyed reading about Tess. I will be looking in on her blog and also the link for course.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE Tess! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.