Monday, August 23, 2010

Ego Knickers

Don’t fight a battle when you won’t gain anything by winning. Guess who said that. General “Old Blood and Guts” Patton. Surprised? This is the week of wisdom in surprising places. Out of the mouths of babes, generals, and televangelists (Speaking the Blessing). You never know.

The quotation is a good reminder to pause and do a quick cost/benefit analysis before jumping in to assert your rightness. Being right isn’t a reason in itself to let everyone know you are, although it is tempting when our egos get their little knickers in a knot (I’m Right – So What).

Do you know someone like that? Are you someone like that? Sometimes I am. I was at a business meeting recently. Someone was wondering about something that happens to be my area of expertise. When I offered the correct information, the speaker disagreed with me. I pressed. He pushed back. I was poised to pull out my expert status and crush all opposition, but I paused. The resolution of the issue was not relevant to the meeting topic.

I let it go. My ego sulked. My spirit smiled.

Be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger. –James 1:19.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.