Saturday, August 28, 2010

Open the Door

I called my friend Greg today to see how he was doing. As I wrote before, Greg is dying (You Have to be Present to Win, Our Appointment with Life). Today is such a beautiful day. Sunny and breezy. I was hoping that he was getting some pleasure from the perfection of this late summer day.

But Greg’s son answered the phone and told me that Greg died a few days ago. How could that be? I just saw him last week. Yes he was dying, but did not seem that close to death. The laughing, meandering, remembering conversation we had did not seem like a last conversation. I thought I would see him again. I thought I had time to say goodbye.

But perhaps last week’s conversation was a perfect last conversation, full of smiles and friendship. Relaxed and easy. With hugs and promises of future visits.

When I asked him about dying, he said he thought he would go to sleep and wake up in a better place. And so he did.

Goodbye, my friend.

Open the door of your treasure today, for tomorrow the key will not be in your hands. –Sa’di

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm glad you had that conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Galen -
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, but so glad you had a special friendship and parting words that were meaningful. I know that is a small comfort only and that the sense of loss and grief will need to run the course of time. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.