Sunday, August 28, 2011

Canine Theology

I seem to be especially appreciative of laughter this month, maybe because we have been discussing the sometimes challenging topic of forgiveness. So here is a little Sunday levity. Two churches face each other across the street in a small, Southern town. Here is a series of messages on their signs out front.

Catholic church – ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN

Presbyterian church – DOGS DON’T HAVE SOULS READ THE BIBLE

Catholic church – GOD LOVES ALL HIS CREATIONS DOGS INCLUDED

Presbyterian church – DOGS DON’T HAVE SOULS THIS IS NOT OPEN FOR DEBATE

Catholic church – CATHOLIC DOGS GO TO HEAVEN PRESBYTERIAN DOGS CAN TALK TO THEIR PASTOR

Presbyterian church – CONVERTING TO CATHOLOCISM [sic] DOES NOT MAGICALLY GRANT YOUR DOG A SOUL

Catholic church – FREE DOG SOULS WITH CONVERSION

Presbyterian church – DOGS ARE ANIMALS THERE AREN’T ANY ROCKS IN HEAVEN EITHER

Catholic church – ALL ROCKS GO TO HEAVEN

This battle of the signs reminds me of the story about the man and his dog who went to heaven. When they got to the pearly gates, the man started to walk inside but the guard at the gate said his dog couldn’t come in. The man looked wistfully past the gate at what appeared to be paradise and turned and walked away. Down the road, he saw a run down looking farm. The farmer sitting at the gate invited the man in. What about my dog, the man asked. The farmer told him that dogs were welcome. The man asked where he was. Why, heaven, replied the farmer. So what was that fancy place up the road, the man asked. Oh, that’s hell, said the farmer.

10 comments:

  1. Oh that is a funny twist at the end...very cute! I'll take the farm that takes my dog too! It's the only way! Funny thinking at the Presbyterian church down south, I actually attended a Presbyterian Sunday School in Michigan from kindergarten through fourth grade until we moved and we could go to a Lutheran Church... I don't think our church would have spoken like that about dogs,they were a very accepting group of people....as I remember...things got more complicated later down the years....way too complicated! Thanks for the cheerful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! There are sure going to be dogs in any heaven I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Galen,
    That's a great definition of heaven. In our neighborhood we have a Baptist fundamental church situated across the road from a Buddhist monastery. It's quite the contrasting sight.
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me chuckle today....My sweet Sophie WILL be in any heaven I am in!!! I'll tell you that.

    hugs,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The conversation between the 2 marquees gave me a good laugh!

    I recalled the man and dog on "Eternity Road" story as having been a Twilight Zone episode plot, and did a little research. Here's the link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the little lift and joy from your post. It's a joy to follow and learn from you on my way through this blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun found here - those are great stories and signs.....Thank you for sharing...

    I need that that - have you read Susan Blake's Today's Path? it is all about iron filings in enriched food...not so funny - It is going to take me a lot to forgive the Food Industry as I get iron kidney stones all the time...yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad y'all enjoyed this. Mikey, thanks for the link. I didn't know where this story originated. That is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story about the man and dog who went to heaven or the farm!! Thanks for a lovely read!! Your blog has one of the best gems for me. I resonate with so many of your ideas, words and wisdom. Please continue to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If there are not dogs or cats in heaven, then I don't ever want to go there!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.