Thursday, June 21, 2012

Choosing to Thrive

Yield and overcome
Bend and be straight

–Tao Te Ching

I spent a lovely weekend at my mountain cabin recently. The cabin sits in dense forest just above a rushing creek. On the far side of the creek is a ridge, which keeps that side of the creek in shade for much of the day.

When I’m at the cabin, I spend a lot of time at the creek. I like to have my morning tea sitting on its bank. On a hot day, I stay close to the creek. The water comes from melting snow further up the mountain. The icy temperature creates natural air conditioning above the dancing race of sparkling froth.

Over a year ago, sudden warm weather after a heavy snow flooded the creek. Boulders and trees swept downstream like thundering herds of buffalo. Afterwards, I saw that a birch tree on the far side of the creek had toppled over. It lay balanced on several rocks just above the water, its base hidden in the underbrush by the creek’s edge. Over the winter, it looked just like the other logs and driftwood scattered along the banks.

But with spring came a surprise...

Please click here to read the rest over at MakeGirlfriends. Even though Nancy's blog is MakeGirlfriends, you "boys" are welcome to come along, too!

related post: Bloom Where You're Planted

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Lovely. Going there now. I was thinking of you over the weekend, as I enjoyed my mountains too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vidya, How nice that we both spent weekends in the mountains! Thanks for your comment (and your other comments on recent posts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galen: Nice touch going to Nancy's blog.
    Every time you head to your cabin I start to miss New Hampshire. I had there what you have described. Although I love living in St. Augustine and really love the ocean, I do miss those mountains. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JJ, The nice thing about Portland is that we have both. The mountains are directly to the east, and the ocean is directly to the west (with a small mountain range on the way). I tend to be a mountain person, but the Oregon coast is beautiful. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed this story today, Galen. Hello to you......

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, Hello to you, too! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. The cabin sounds like a lovely place. Congratulations on your guest post on Nancy's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, Thanks! I enjoyed visiting on Nancy's blog.

      Delete
  6. I too just recently did the unwired vacation, not my own cabin but away....it sure is relaxing! It's the catching up once you return home that sometimes...is not so much fun! I'll head over and check it out....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I know--there is always a lot to do when we plug back in! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Betty and I can't wait to spend a day just staring at that creek and enjoying the cool weather. It sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.