Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Person of Yes

A certain political party, it doesn’t matter which one (this isn’t a political commentary), is sometimes called the party of no. I get that. I often catch myself being the person of no. “Hey, do you want to come with us to...” No. “Mom, is it all right if I...” No. “We need someone to...” No.

I don’t want to be the person of no. So I’ve been thinking about people who say yes.

One Sunday morning, a guest preacher was scheduled to speak in our church. The worship service started and there was no guest preacher. Time for the sermon and there was no guest preacher. We all waited. One of the associate pastors stood up. The guest speaker’s sermon was titled Using What You’ve Got. So the associate pastor used what he had. He talked about living in hope when we don’t know the future. I wish I remembered all the words he said. I don’t. But I remember watching him and thinking, This is what faith looks like. He didn’t talk about faith. He showed us faith. He used what he had and said yes.

My two sons live in a group home for adults with developmental disabilities. Staff people help them with various things – cooking, money, transportation, and so forth. One staff person in particular goes above and beyond. My son James loves to go to the zoo. She not only took him to the zoo, but she made it a creative outing. She videotaped him talking about the animals. It was like a show on Animal Planet. James lectured, sang, and danced his way through the zoo. I got the DVD of his show for Mother’s Day. I treasure it because it is James at his best – happy, being a ham, showing off what he knows about what he loves. The staff person made this possible. She used what she had and said yes. And, come to think of it, so did James.

If I so admire these folks who use what they’ve got to say yes, why do I so often say no? Sometimes, I don’t want to be bothered. Sometimes, I’m afraid that if I use what I’ve got, it won’t be enough. So many reasons. But when I listen to the inner calling, when I trust that if I just step up and offer my willingness, everything will be all right, I sometimes find that miracles happen.

I don’t want to be the person of no. I want to be the person of yes. Do you know someone who is a person of yes? Maybe you are a person of yes!

For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be ... yes. –Dag Hammarskjold

1 comment:

  1. This is really a lovely post. Thank you for reminding me to say yes to life more often and to not be afraid or ashamed to use what I have. If you think about it, it's another way of telling the Parable of the Talents.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.