Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Surprise

I was driving to work this morning and there they were, like they are every year. The January daffodils. Not just a green sprout tentatively peeking through the dirt. A whole corner covered with bright yellow blossoms. A small field of sunshine.

If you live in my part of the world you know that the last month has brought record rainfall. The only sunny days have been the below freezing days around New Year’s. Water is rising in basements. Creeks and rivers are spilling over their banks. Everybody is feeling mossy and mildewed.

But these daffodils don’t care. They bloom in January every year. Ice and snow do not deter them. Gray soggy days do not dampen their spirits. They do not bow to pouring rain. They stand straight up on the corner singing and dancing, heralding the life gestating in the winter dark.

Every year I forget about those daffodils. By January, winter is in full force, and I’m hunkered down with my mug of hot tea, wrapped in my comfy robe, waiting.... Every winter I forget until the day I am walking or driving by and there they are, laughing at my surprise.

And I laugh with them.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds beautiful. Yellow flowers are my absolute favorite. I don't think we get those around here, most of our wild flowers hold out until spring. It's even better that it's a surprise every year, that must make it so much fun to rediscover them.

    Thanks for participating in the Personal Development Campfire by sharing this wonderful winter tidbit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daffoldils are special to me because they bring back fond childhood memories. They bring the hope of spring, and the anticipation of warmer weather. Reading your post today just brightened my thinking...I went back to that 'happy' feeling daffodils give to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I long to see the flowers, you're blessed to have them sprouting up and nice bright yellows, that's one of my favorite colors. With the way time is flying it's going to be spring here in no time at all... only a few more short months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful imagery on a gray winter morning! I may forever think of daffodils singing, dancing, and laughing. You can't read those words or hold that image without smiling along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read another blog yesterday where they posted some photographs of spring flowers they had taken last year. It was so refreshing to see come vibrant color. I can imagine what it was like to see those daffodils. A sense of hope...hope that we don't have to endure too much more of this dismal season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Galen, what a great reminder of how regardless of how much rain comes, the flowers continue to dance. Love this metaphor for life as well. Why does the rain stop us so many times?

    Good to visit you here. Where in the northwest are you? I am a southern boy who lived in Portland for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so pleased that this image has found a happy home with you. Thank you for your comments!

    Bryan, I live in Portland. I grew up in Memphis. Thanks for stopping by and hope you will visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flowers look pretty and gentle, but they are strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful potrayal of color in the midst of "gray". I bet they are breathtaking and thanks for sharing the imagery :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat way to brighten up your day. I think I would be laughing and smiling if I saw those as well. A little gift on a cold winters day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valuable and valued. Comment moderation is enabled to block spam, so please excuse the brief delay until your comment appears on the blog.